17 November 2007

that yarn store

Having promised a childhood friend we'd learn to knit together as my bday gift to her, (that's right - we're 30 going on 70!), I went on a hunt to find the perfect yarn shop for our hot hooking adventure. It turns out there are plenty of shops all around town, and they each offer classes and sell yarn of some sort or another, but when I stumbled across the website for That Yarn Store on Eagle Rock Blvd., I knew I'd found the spot.

This is a mom and pop shop - recently relocated from a store front around the corner on Colorado - staffed and run entirely by family. Everything about this place is comfy and homey, from the handwritten notes on the door describing new groups and events, the decor (it's set up like a cozy living room with rocking chairs, sofas and an ample coffee table covered with snacks), the music (it was some indy electro jazz while we were there), and most especially, the people.

A couple of months ago I thought it would be relaxing for me to take up knitting, but after a futile attempt at learning, all I wanted to do was stab someone with my knitting needles. When we arrived, a very friendly barefooted guy welcomed us to the shop and let us know his wife, Frannie, would be back soon to teach us to knit (evidently, he was more of the crocheting type). That was when I knew we'd found the right spot :)

Frannie was the sweetest thing and had the patience of a saint. She sat us down and handed us each a pair of shiny #9 bamboo needles and a little ball of tan yarn. Before we knew it, we'd mastered the art of casting on and were slowly, but surely, knitting rows. We hung out chatteing and practicing our stitches, and before we knew it, three hours had passed, and what do you know, we were knitting!

For those of you who know your stuff, they have an ample collection of books and lending library, plenty of yarns (like fine wool, alpaca and yak - none of that acrylic junk) and needles for just about any knit or crochet project as well as a laundry list of different classes, groups and special events. For everyone else, there are classes for beginners on Saturdays at 2p and Tuesdays at 7p, but we discovered they're happy to start you a little early (or, in our case) a little late if need be. Our impromptu class was just $15 plus $5 for our needles and starter yarn. All they ask is that you buy your supplies there, which is perfectly reasonable given the beautiful and colorful selection. Now I'm hoping the skein of wine hued wool I picked up will mystically turn itself into a scarf!

No comments: