21 May 2007

tart

Between the updated exterior of the restaurant and the old Farmer's Daughter, and hearing good things, I really, really wanted to like this place, but the sad truth us, it just didn't live up to the hype.

We went for dinner with Beer's parents when they were visiting. Started off with wine and cocktails, which ended up all over his mom's white skirt. Strike one. We ordered our meals, and when Beer asked if he could have fries with his (an easy request), he was told no. Strike two. I ordered the steak which was thin and came out overcooked (well done when I ordered it med rare), bland and chewy. There was supposed to be some garlic butter with it, but that was missing too. I couldn't believe what they were charging for something of that quality. I felt like I was eating at Sizzler. Strike Three.

We opted to order dessert thinking that HAD to be better. It wasn't. His mom's strawberry shortcake, which, according to the menu is served with fresh berries, came out with nothing more than a drizzle of strawberry sauce. After two (less than subtle) complaints, they took it back and returned it with the sliced berries. Is asking to have something served as it's described really asking too much? Strike four. My dessert was covered in a sickly sweet caramel syrup you could tell just came out of a Smart & Final bulk jar. When I asked point blank, they even copped to it. They can't make their own caramel on a $10 dessert? Come on.

When it came time to settle up they'd overcharged us. Once that was resolved, we asked to have them honor the guest discount we were supposed to receive (as his parents had been staying there a week), and after two requests, it still wasn't, so we just gave up and left. That was the final strike for me, so I won't be back.

The place is small but cute, the server was pleasant, the patio dining looked great for a warm summer evening, and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they were having an off night (though we heard from the parents it wasn't much better the other two times they went back during their stay).

115 S Fairfax Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 937-3930

No comments: