29 July 2006

al gelato

After our less than thrilling experience at BJ's, we decided to stop by our favorite gelato joint on the way home - Al Gelato. Everything is homemade and I've yet to have anything here I didn't love, but faves include the DEEP dish apple pie with caramel sauce and fresh whipped cream (it's still a mystery to me how you bake something that size and get it perfect), the lemon ice, riccota cheesecake, and, of course, the chocolate hazelnut gelato, which is hands down one of the best I've had anywhere. If you don't do dairy, the fruit flavor ices (pear, lemon, raspberry, apple, etc.) are delish and so is the chocolate ice (it's better than most chokkie ice creams). The staff is warm, friendly, helpful and always quick to offer you another sample :) Tonight we had the tiramisu for the first time, and it was damn good. Can't wait to try their deep dish pecan and pumpkin pies this fall. Mmmmm...

I hear they have wonderful grilled sandwiches but I never have room for anything more than dessert.

Tip: Even if it seems pricey, buy a quart of your fave flavor. It's so rich, it'll last for weeks - even for a chocoholic like Beer.

806 S Robertson Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90035

(310) 659-8069


Photo courtesy of Joan S.

No comments: