This places gets props just for the historic kitsch factor. Being that I hadn't been here since I used to ditch junior high, I decided to stop by with the Beer's parents visiting from the UK.Thankfully, the line moved quickly an we had our to-go order, packed and out the door, in under twenty. The chili was just as I remembered it - oily and meh. I can think of at least a dozen places with better chili BUT this is still a fine dog. No doubt in my mind there isn't a kosher dog in the house, but for cheap eats, can't really complain.
The Pastrami Reuben dog was tempting (with mustard, kraut, swiss cheese and pastrami), but I finally settled on the Martha Stewart dog (a 10" stretch dog, mustard, kraut, relish, chopped tomatoes, three slices of bacon and sour cream) and it was damn good. The folks had the polish sausages with grilled onions and mushrooms and seemed content. Next time, I'm getting the Mulholland dog. It's a bit of a mystery to me what's (not) on it, but I saw a few made, and man did they look good.
I wouldn't advocate going when the line is around the corner, but if you can catch it when it's not and you're mood for a creative, messy, piled high dog, this is the place to be.
Tip - Some people have made cracks about the line being an e-ticket to the toilet. If that's what you're in the market for, head over to OkiDog on Fairfax - they'll give you the shits (and maybe a little salmonella) every time.
709 N La Brea Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038 (323) 931-4223
No comments:
Post a Comment