18 April 2007

alfredo's grill

Failing to find a parking spot at Quality and refusing to wait in line at Toast, we settled on Joan's for a late brunch, until we realized we were standing right in front of Alfredo's - our breakfast burrito delivery joint!

Being hungry and noting the patio dining and a couple of cozy booths open, we decided to give it a try. We walked in and were quickly seated. Once we (finally) got a menu, it was tough to decide what to have everything looked so good. They do brek all day and have an extensive list of options for both food and beverage. Beer settled on a fruit shake (strawberry-banana since they were out of blueberries) and I asked for the A.G (their version of a mocha ice blended). His shake was good and my coffee would have been as well - had it arrived before our food was cleared.

He ordered the chocolate banana pancakes and I got one of the scrambles. All of the food coming out looked great. When ours finally made it out, it was no exception. The only challenge was ... we still didn't have set-ups, Beer never got the water he asked for, his pancakes came dry without any syrup to be found, my coffee was MIA with the syrup, and every table in the house but ours had bread. Our server was nice enough and I wanted to think maybe he had too many tables on his hands, but the truth of the matter is that there were two of them (one of whom I suspect was the owner) waiting a small number of tables and the only one who seemed to have his shit together enough to be helpful was the busboy.

Once we got utensils, etc. the food was good. The portion of both fruit and scramble on my plate seemed a bit skimpy, especially in light of the mass of pancakes falling off the plate across from me, but it was pretty good. I wish I could have said the same for the service. Kept wondering why it was so relatively empty for a sunny Saturday, but given the staff, I think I know.

We'll probably give this one another shot the next time we can't get in to one of our usuals, but until then, I'm sticking with delivery.

8310 W 3rd St
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323) 782-4922

No comments: