11 February 2007

trader vics

Oh, the memories ... and not just mine. My gran used to hit happy hour here in the 50's when she still had an office in Beverly Hills. Grandma doesn't remember much, but she does recall the Mai Tai's, which are memorable indeed!

This is mid-century Tiki at it's purest. Part of what I love about T-Vics is that not much has changed since then - including some of the bar and wait staff!

The vibe is old school and cool, the drinks are stiff, and the appetizers get tastier with every drink (pass on the sushi, everything else is good - especially if it's fried!). My poison is the Scorpion which is served up with a big gardenia floating on top. Don't be fooled by the girlish exterior- it's a sweet, smooth concoction that'll knock you on your ass. And if that's your goal, just go straight for the Scorpion bowl (it serves 2-4, depending on the crowd and who has to work in the morning).

I've had dinner here a few times and despite being a bit pricey, it's very good, even if only for the kitsch value.

This is one local spot I'll be very sorry to see go - it's slated for demo (date still TBD) to make way for condo development and a possible Waldorf-Astoria hotel. Damn shame and a big mistake if you ask me. But until then, I'll be there drinking up!

Tip: There are some libations that have actually been pulled from the menu over the years for being too strong (I shit you not). As for my faves on that list, there are some things even I won't reveal, but if you ask real nice, one of the older waiters likely will ; )

9876 Wilshire Boulevard Beverly Hills, CA 90210 (310) 276-6345

No comments: